Re: [Ietf-honest] Adding people to the honest IETF list

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 04:04:06PM -0400, Dean Anderson wrote:
> W3 consortium address removed.

W3 consortium address added.

> On Tue, 25 Aug 2009, Noah Slater wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 01:51:02PM -0400, Dean Anderson wrote:
> > > The answer is yes. You did consent to receive communications on IETF
> > > business from other IETF participants.
> >
> > False.
> >
> > I consented to receiving mail from a specific mailing list.
>
> Your dispute over the facts is frivolous.

Well then, I am sorry that I am filling you your inbox with frivolity. Oh wait…

> > > I am faciliitating that communication.
> >
> > You are facilitating the aggressive and unwelcome advancement of your personal
> > agenda by subscribing what probably amounts to hundreds of people to a mailing
> > list without their prior permission.
>
> They have consented to communication on IETF business.

No they haven't.

Why do you persist with this absurd line of reasoning?

> This list isn't about any advancement of MY personal agenda.

It certainly seems like that is the case.

> Rather, your messages now are YOUR personal agenda.

Of course they are.

The major difference being that I didn't subscribe you to a mailing list without
your proper consent, where I can moan about lots of random things that are of no
interest to you. I am complaining about this list, on this list. I think that is
wholly appropriate.

> I've asked you to stop it nicely since your baseless claims against me have
> nothing to do with IETF business.

I warmly invite you to unsubscribe me.

> Julian Reschke has not been resubscribed to any list after he has
> unsubscribed. His characterization of the facts is false. He has used
> different email addresses:
>
>  Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@greenbytes.de>,
>  Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>,
>
> Quite plainly, there is no way to tell different email addresses aren't
> different people.

This should have been a clue that you were doing something wrong.

> Also quite plainly, these people have no compunctions about abusing the W3
> consortium mailsystems for unauthorized purposes. Sort of ironic they should
> complain about abuse...

If the W3C has a problem with me using this list, that is my business.

> > > Then why did you post to the IETF list?
> >
> > To make some technical comments on an Internet Draft.
>
> That's called IETF business.

So because I care about a subset of IETF business, I have to care about it all?

> > You have a very strange view of how social interaction works. I have made it
> > abundantly clear that your communication with me is unwelcome, and so have a
> > number of other people. Telling me that you will continue because you're not
> > breaking any rules just means that you're behaving like an arse.
>
> Then you can peacefully unsubscribe.  Most people don't unsubscribe.

I recognise this argument! It is included at the bottom of most spams I receive.

> > I would apologise for replying to your private mail publicly, but ah well...
>
> I see you are still subscribed. Of course, if you didn't want that, you
> know how to unsubscribe.  If you persist in off-topic tirades, or are
> really unable to follow mailman instructions, I will help you with how
> to use mailman.

So the way to stop receiving emails from this list is to complain about it
loudly and in public? Well then, I wholeheartedly encourage all the other list
recipients to similarly speak up and get yourself unsubscribed!

Best,