Re: ISSUE-42 (cross-reference/subtext): Cross-referencing and subtext [HTML 5 spec]

HI Andrew,

[As this is a procedural issue and the chairs asked that such
procedural issues not be discussed on the list, I'm taking it offlist]

On May 28, 2008, at 7:11 PM, Andrew Sidwell wrote:

> HTML Issue Tracking Issue Tracker wrote:
>> ISSUE-42 (cross-reference/subtext): Cross-referencing and subtext
>> [HTML 5 spec]
>
> I have to raise a number of issues with the way these issues have
> been raised.  I realise there is not much to be done about this now,
> but I personally would be much obliged in future if problem
> statements were raised on the mailing list before putting forward
> such thorough solutions; and I would also be thankful if proposals
> were first made on the mailing list before the wiki, as that makes
> point-by-point replies possible without undue work.  I believe the
> editor suggested something like this around the time the working
> group started off, and it would be useful to stick to it.

I understand your concerns. Most of these issues have been discussed
at length and are simply distillations of those discussions. I plan to
do more work on the wiki pages to make sure the proper threads and
emails get attached to the wiki pages. Once I do that, it should be
clearer that these issues have had some airing. Of course it's also a
good idea to continue discussions now that the issues have been added
to the issue tracker.

> It is hard to know how best to proceed when summaries sent by an
> automated mailer are the only things that reach my inbox.

I think Gregory has diligently included the wiki page URLs for each of
these issues. You can read more about them there. It is also perfectly
acceptable to respond to the substantive parts of the issues, ask
questions and propose alternate solutions all on the WG list serve.

Take care,
Rob