Re: Dejavu: ongoing anti xhtml stuff

On Mon, 12 May 2008, Dean Edridge wrote:
> Hi Ian,
>
> > According to the XML specification, XML processors are not guaranteed
> > to process the external DTD subset referenced in the DOCTYPE. This
> > means, for example, that using entities for characters in XHTML
> > documents is unsafe (except for <, >, &, " and ').
> > For interoperability, authors are advised to avoid optional features
> > of XML.
>
> I thought I asked you last year if you could reword this.

You did. And I will fix it when I get to your feedback, just like I fix
anything else when I get to it. There are 2000+ e-mails still remaining in
the list of things I have to fix, and I have recently been replying to
e-mails from 2004 and 2005.

This particular issue is a very low priority as it is purely editorial (by
which I mean, it doesn't have any normative conformance criteria and
therefore the spec would be implemented in exactly the same way whether
the paragraph was there or not).

> I know you get sick of me going on about this stuff; I'm sorry but I
> just cant get involved and comment on other areas of the spec when
> there's things like this that are wrong.

If you can't get past a minor editorial issue (e.g. by pretending it is
fixed while waiting for me to get to the issue), I'm afraid I can't really
help you very much. I'm not prioritising minor editorial stuff like this
over key interoperability issues like broken algorithms.

Cheers,