mandatory fiels in rfc 2822 Re: Machine checkability

Hi Henri,

nothing really important, but I was not sure about your assertion in
http://www.w3.org/mid/805A4886-5EC2-437A-B392-AB4BCD309D4D@iki.fi

Le 12 mai 2008 à 15:44, Henri Sivonen a écrit :
> (Aside: Email messages as a whole also have supplementary user-
> entered data that is supposed to be mandatory: Subject. And as we
> all know, software cannot force people to write a subject. However,
> other people can make subject writing more compelling if you know
> that by not writing a subject you are more likely to get your
> message ignored as spam.)

it seems that Subject is optional.

The only mandatory fields are
   * From: (or Sender: if From: is not available).
   * Date:

See 3.6. Field definitions
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2822

    The only required header fields are the origination date field and
    the originator address field(s).  All other header fields are
    syntactically optional.

--
Karl Dubost - W3C
http://www.w3.org/QA/