Re: [whatwg] Creative Commons Rights Expression Language

Bonner, Matt wrote:
> speaking only for myself....
[...]
>> I would love to see reactions from the HTML5 group that are a little
>> more productive than "you don't really need what you think you need."
>
> It may come across that way, but I read it more as the natural
> reaction of a working group to any newcomer who arrives with a
> list of fully-baked needs.

(as an aside)
You may have put your finger on a big part of the communications problem
here. Each is treating the other as a newcomer. We've all been very busy
in our own historical timelines and other groups, so tend to treat the
other party as the newcomer whose duty it is to catch up and explain how
they fit in. And each in turn is feeling like they're being treated as
(implicitly clueless) newcomers, with their experience and prior work
not being appreciated.

cheers,

Dan

ps. instead of typing that, it was quite tempting to mention how long
before HTML5 "we" have been working on this stuff, and how HTML5 was the
newcomer effort. Which would have probably elicited a "well you should
have more to show for it then" from an HTML5 enthusiast. Which would've
probably gotten an unflattering response re HTML5 by return, etc etc. I
really think we can all do better when it comes to inter-group dialog...