RE: HTTP Endpoints and Resources

>On Wed, 2007-09-26 at 14:30 -0500, Pat Hayes wrote:
>>  [...] Ive never even heard
>>  you make a case for your (Tim's?) position.
>
>Yes, you have, many times. Most recently, by your
>own admission:
>
>[[
>>(I could give a counter-argument, but I'm sure you a have
>>seen it before and it didn't convince you then, so it's
>>probably not worth going into again now.
>>In case anybody is new to this conversation,
>  >see http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/NameMyth for the position
>>that I hold.)
>>
>Insofar as I follow that document, it seems to be  about ...

As I went on to say, that document, i.e. Tim's 'NameMyth' note, seems
to be about a different topic altogether. Or maybe a very, very
special case, or something. Virtually all the examples of names that
it uses are identifiers from computational systems. (It does mention
road names in towns at one point, in passing, to illustrate the idea
of naming hierarchies.)

It doesn't make any kind of case that I can see for the idea that
reference and access are the same notion. If anything, it PRESUMES,
without a shred of argument or support, that names ARE used for
access: which even if it were true (and it obviously isn't, in
general) doesn't establish that access and reference are related.

Pat

>]]
>  -- Pat Hayes, Thu, 20 Sep 2007 15:59:23 -0500
>

>--
>Dan Connolly, W3C http://www.w3.org/People/Connolly/

IHMC		(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32502			(850)291 0667    cell