Re: On the fostering of immaturity and derision

hi ian,
Its ashame that you don't consider fostering an environment where respectful
exchanges can occur as important, but at least you are honest about it.
It is possible to have an open environment where people don't resort to
being rude about others if one sees that as being of importance, you
obviously do not.

At what point does your condoning of such behaviours stop?

On 26/09/2007, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Sep 2007, Steven Faulkner wrote:
> >
> > Hi Ian, indeed i don't have to believe you, but when the editor of the
> > spec starts to lose the working group participants respect due to his
> > condoning (explicitly or implicitly) of unsavoury behaviours on a public
> > IRC dedicated to HTML 5, it is a matter that should be taken seriously.
>
> Actually in practice it doesn't really matter how many people respect me,
> so long as the browser vendors do. The Web tends to just follow what the
> browser vendors support. My goal is to have a high quality spec that
> fosters interoperability and universal access; I'm not trying to be keep
> everyone happy, nor do I have any intention of acting as behaviour police
> for other participants. In the particular case of the #whatwg channel, I
> strongly believe in encouraging an open environment where people can
> openly discuss any topic of interest to the participants, and where people
> can give their honest and raw opinions and views.
>
> At the end of the day, you don't need to respect me for the spec to be
> successful and for the overall Web community to advance.
>
> --

with regards

Steve Faulkner
Technical Director - TPG Europe