Re: [html4all] the alt attribute debate

>Likewise, if one pipe (e.g. digital camera) gives you bitmaps without
>textual alternatives and another pipe (the Web) insists on textual
>alternatives being present, you can be 100% sure that the person
>writing the piece of software that stuffs images from the camera to
>the Web will fake the textual alternatives by emitting bogus data.

your  argument presupposes that the writers of the software give a damn
about making their apps output valid  code:

a quick check of numerous photo sharing sites (for example) appears to
indicate otherwise:
flickr home page Failed validation, 31 Errors
photobucket homepage Failed validation, 109 Errors
webshots home page Failed validation, 150 Errors