Re: testing versus expert opinion

On Sep 11, 2007, at 4:14 AM, Steve Faulkner wrote:

> Hi Maciej,
>
> the reason why i named you and anne is that the conversation i cited
> on IRC was between you and anne. Also it was due to it being pointed
> out to me by a friend (Gez lemon) that my writing style was somewhat
> abrupt, so I should attempt to be more personable (obviously didn't
> wrrk in this case).

No, and I think your point would have been better made without
contructing it to look like a personal attack. It is generally
friendlier to focus on ideas, not people, if you are going to disagree.

> I don't know who decided to make alt optional, what i do assume is
> that people such as yourself and anne who interact with Ian hickson
> on a regular basis and are  involved in the whatwg so would have a
> better understanding of why decisions were made about the changes in
> the spec.

I have had not interaction with him on this subject that isn't
publicly logged or archived, so you have the same

> I am not part of any "self-styled accessibility advocate camp" as
> you describe in what i consider to be a  mocking and demeaning way.
> I correspond with a wide range of people including those that you
> choose to call the accessibility camp.

My apologies, that remark was a little overheated. However - I've seen
a pattern in the past few months of people quoting remarks (mine and
those of others) from outside forums out of context and posting
dramatic emails on the working group mailing list. It seems that
everyone who has made this kind of post sees themselves as an
accessibility advocate and is on the list at <http://html4all.org/pipermail/list_html4all.org/
coordinate this kind of attack: <http://html4all.org/pipermail/list_html4all.org/2007-August/000054.html
 >. So perhaps you can see why I might be sensitive to emails that
appear to fit this pattern, even though yours was considerably less
hostile than many emails along these lines.

The message that started all this was: <http://html4all.org/pipermail/list_html4all.org/2007-September/000267.html
 >. Yes, I think I am allowed to comment when people take my
constructive remarks and make them try to sound like part of something
sinister.

I also think commenting on IRC, or indeed on external mailing lists
like the html4all list, is very different from posting to the working
group list, in a large part because paying attention to such
additional fora is voluntary, so it does not consume the time of
hundreds of people.

> So please don't try to take the moral high ground, as that is
> nothing but hypocracy.

I think my response was not misleading with regards to the original
content referenced, nor did it create a dispute where there is none,
nor did it needlessly consume the time of the whole working group.

Regards,
Maciej