Re: survey of top web sites

At 09:38 +0900 UTC, on 2007-05-28, Karl Dubost wrote:

[...]

> It is possible to fake the user agent string so we would know if the
> Web site is sending different versions depending on the browsers.

HTTP is one thing. You may well be served different content based on
*javascript level* UA string. I know of at least one UA, iCab, that allows
you to configure it to send different javascript level UA strings to work
around such cases.

Beyond that, I wouldn't be surprised if you get different content based on
javascript code itself working or not working as the author intended. Might
be neglible though.

There's also the possibility that you get served different content based on
IP address. (Sites, like Google, assuming they can figure out your favourite
language from your IP address, for instance.)

--
Sander Tekelenburg