Re: Decision process in the HTML working group

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> Hello HTML WG Chairs,
>
> I think the decision process for our first formal resolution has not
> turned out so well. Counting every "no" vote as a Formal Objection means
> that to register any kind of dissent, one must automatically lie across
> the metaphorical railroad tracks, requiring either work stoppage or
> escalation of the dispute. I think this creates two problems:
>
> 1) People who disagree with the majority feel pressured not to vote
> "no", since it would potentially impede the progress of the group. In a
> straw poll, people should feel free to vote their conscience without
> worrying they may put the work of the group at risk.

This isn't a straw poll.

People who just want to express disagreement
without formally objecting are supposed to just express that
disagreement in email or in the rationale field and abstain.

> 2) People who do want to register their disagreement automatically
> escalate it to the most serious level just by virtue of their "no" vote.
> For example, I don't think the voter who said he liked the name "HTML
> 5.01" better than "HTML 5" necessarily would have chosen to escalate it
> to the Director after the vote.

True, he probably didn't understand what I meant the "no" option
to mean when he chose it. That makes for a little extra "paperwork,"
but it doesn't seriously impact things.

> In many W3C Working Groups, resolutions often carry just by majority
> vote, with dissentors given the opportunity to lodge a Formal Objection
> afterwards if they still strongly disagree.  Often the Formal Objection
> is only done at LC time so there is plenty time to work things out
> before the FO has to be recorded for the Director. I suggest the chairs
> adopt this process for future WG decisions.

I expect to give participants various chances to withdraw their
objections.

> Furthermore, ordinary
> comments on a Working Draft or Last Call draft are not normally
> automatically considered as Formal Objections, even if the resolution is
> "Disagree". Generally the disputant has to explicitly say it is a Formal
> Objection.
>

> I propose that for future resolutions, "no" votes be treated only as
> ordinary statements of disagreement. Only if the dissentor explicitly
> chooses to escalate his dissent to a Formal Objection should it be
> treated as such.

WBS doesn't currently support that, as far as I know. Perhaps
I'll look into getting it enhanced.