Re: About dropping the style attribute (offlist, www-archive)

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 12:31:39 +0200, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
wrote:
> Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>>  On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 11:15:01 +0200, HÃ¥kon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Also sprach Craig Francis:
>>> The style element, when scoped to its parent, will be able to do this
>>> -- and more -- but it is more verbose.
>>  The problem with the style= attribute, as opposed to the <style>
>> element. Is that it encourages media specific style sheets. As the
>> media for the style= attribute is automatically "all". It also does not
>> allow for alternate style sheets. The <style> element in HTML5 handles
>> both. Having said that, I don't really care strongly either way.
>
> These are good things to explain; but IMHO no reasons to deprecate it.
>
>>> Finally, there's much content out there that uses the 'style'
>>> attribute and the cost of keeping it is lower than the cost of
>>> removing it.
>>  User agents will be required to support it.
>
> In which case it doesn't make any sense to deprecate it when it was
> allowed before.

FWIW, it's not deprecated. It has been removed from the language. HTML5
does not do deprecation. By your reasoning <plaintext>, <isindex> etc.
should also be conforming which doesn't make much sense to me.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>