XML processing Re: Dissatisfaction with HTML WG

Le 25 déc. 2007 à 02:16, James Graham a écrit :
> I don't believe it can; the fatal-exception-on-wellformedness-error
> behavior is likely to be unacceptable to any website that values its
> uptime.

This is the current common agreement of people though the XML
specification, 3rd edition, says:

	fatal error

	[Definition: An error which a conforming XML processor
	MUST detect and report to the application. After
	encountering a fatal error, the processor MAY continue
	processing the data to search for further errors and
	MAY report such errors to the application. In order
	to support correction of errors, the processor MAY make
	unprocessed data from the document (with intermingled
	character data and markup) available to the application.
	Once a fatal error is detected, however, the processor
	MUST NOT continue normal processing (i.e., it MUST NOT
	continue to pass character data and information about
	the document's logical structure to the application in
	the normal way).]

If we make a distinction between XML Processor and Application (for
example, browser)

One possible interpretation (my own that will get me burned by XML
advocates.)

A non well-formed document is sent to an application with an XML
processor.

1. The XML processor detects that the document is not well-formed and
report it to the application.
2. The XML processor continue the processing of data and report data
and errors to the application.
3. The XML processor has given back a stream with identified broken
information to the application
4. The application applies an XML recovery mechanism on the stream
sent by the XML processor and do what it wants with it such as
displaying the document if necessary.

--
Karl Dubost - W3C
http://www.w3.org/QA/