Re: A Compromise to the Versioning Debate

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 09:39:37 +1000, Kornel Lesinski <kornel@geekhood.net>
wrote:

>>> Yes, of course. But if nothing tells us when we make mistakes, we
>>> can't learn from them (which is why I think browsers somehow warning
>>> about errors is a very good idea).
>>
>> They do. There's an error console. We can't show errors in the UI. End
>> users don't care about that.
>
> If there is absolutely no indicator in regular browser UI, authors won't
> know when there's a long list of errors waiting for them in the error
> console.

If authors don't care, nothing will help them.

> You can't expect authors to diligently check error console, especially
> when their page appears to work just fine (...in a certain bugmode of
> IE).
>
> It might even be useful to some users - especially non-technical
> decision-makers could spot buggy tools and barely working pages. Having
> warnings noticable by users might be an incentive for authors to fix
> errors even when page _seems_ to work without problems.

Over 95% of the pages out there have syntax errors. Almost no page is
conforming. It would just be an icon you would get to see for every page
you view and have no clue what it's for.

> [...]
>
> (I'm sending this off-list, but I won't mind if you reply to the list)

I cc'ed www-archive.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>