RE: taking threads to www-archive or offline altogether

Thanks Dan,

Just to see if I understand the reasons one might use this feature....

In this particular case, I think I understand what the www-archive is for, but I'm not entirely certain. Therefore, rather than asking for clarification of something that, for many of the people here, may be quite obvious, I could respond to you, but cc the www-archive@w3.org  (pretty much like I'm doing right now)?

I guess in this case, I am making the assumption that someone other than me might, later on, find your answer valuable. (Otherwise, I suppose I would  just send you a personal message without cc-ing the archive).

If I'm understanding the reason for this, then it might also make sense to be sure that I quote your message in its entirety, since www-archive will not already have a copy of that there. Or does it make sense to additionally provide a pointer to your original message (http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Apr/0809.html) ?

If not, then should other context like the date, time, author, and context (public-html@w3.org) be included (since it looks like groups other than just public-html) are included in the archive?

I hope this is not inappropriate for the archive, but the http://lists.w3.org/Help/ help file doesn't seem to answer these questions, unless I'm missing it.

David Dailey