Re: Naming Wiki Pages

-cc public-html; +cc www-archive

On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 16:20 -0400, Mike Schinkel wrote:
> Dan Connolly wrote:
[...]
> > I'm still maintaining an issues list.
> >   http://www.w3.org/html/wg/il16
> > It doesn't include everything that anyone has sent mail about,
> > but I suggest that this is a feature, not a bug.
> >
> That said, I was trying to create a mechanism that would make it
> possible to easily find most discussions on a given topic.

I wonder if you read what I wrote, carefully, before you
responded. Once again:

That some topics are harder to find than others is a *feature*,
not a bug.

I have explained several times now that I think an exhaustive
index is *counter-productive*. The group can only work productively
on so many things at once. If someone sends mail and I don't put
it on my issues list within a week or two, I *want* it to be harder
to find than threads that I do put on my issues list.

One explanation was Fri, 23 Mar 2007 14:00:27 -0500:

| Of course
| it doesn't capture _every_ idea, but I suggest that's
| part of the dynamics of working together and filtering
| the zillions of ideas down to one standard.

>  Is there not
> some standard some way we can use to tie emails back to the list of
> issues so that when searching for discussions on a topic it doesn't turn
> into a year long research project?

Yes, there is a standard way: il16 links to a number
of mail messages using links to those messages in
the hypertext archive.

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E