Re: some notes on wheel events

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 21:04:50 +0200
To: "Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@opera.com>
Cc: www-archive@w3.org

* Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>wheelDeltaX is a multiple of 120 (positive means rotated to the right,
>negative means rotated to the left). UIEvent.detail is wheelDeltaX divided
>by 120.
>
>wheelDeltaY is a multiple of 120 (positive means rotated away from user or
>to the right, negative means rotated towards user or to the left).
>UIEvent.detail is wheelDeltaY divided by 120.
>
>wheelDeltaZ is a multiple of 120 (...). UIEvent.detail is wheelDeltaZ
>divided by 120.

I am not sure UIEvent.detail makes sense like that, I thought we wanted
to avoid http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straferunning style problems, so
if you "wheel" top-right, you get both wheelDeltaX and wheelDeltaY, and
UIEvent.detail can't be as specified above if that is indeed the case.

>XXX: i18n?
>XXX: wheelDeltaY -> wheelDelta?
>XXX: Array for "any" number of wheels.
>XXX: MouseEvent.relatedNode?

relatedNode should probably be the node that is beeing "wheel'd" over.
I am not sure what you mean by "i18n" above. I don't think we need the
array you mention, and for "wheelDelta" well, that's for the group to
decide.

>XXX: do we want initMouseWheelEvent() and such?

I think so.

>Note: Future versions might introduce a mousewheelx and mousewheelz event
>given there's a need for them.

There is?