RE: Scheduling chat: SPARQL, SQL & RDF

-------- Original Message --------
> From: Chris Bizer <mailto:chris@bizer.de>
> Date: 6 June 2006 11:26
>
> Hi all,
>
> I also cced Andy Seaborne, Eric Prud'hommeaux, Richard Cyganiak and
> Christian Lehmann. To them, this mail is in reply to:
> http://dig.csail.mit.edu/breadcrumbs/node/140
> and
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2006Jun/0003.html
>
> We are of course very interested in joining efforts on database to RDF
> mapping. So a sceduled chat or a BOF at ESWC are both good ideas.

A scheduled chat would be good - I won't be at ESWC.

> We plan to do the following stuff for D2RQ and D2R server in the next
> months:
> - implement a smarter SPARQL-to-SQL rewriting algorithm, which will
> speed up queries. Richard's "A relational algebra for SPARQL" was the
> first step into this direction.
> - do some fine tuning on the language and introduce some language
> constructs that make it easier to write mappings or make the language
> more flexible.
> Did anybody hear of use cases where something couldn't be mapped using
> D2RQ?
> - improve Richard's tool for the automatic generation of mappings.
> - write a nice setup routine which will make it easyer to get the
> server running.
> - publish additional mappings for commonly used wikis, blogs and CMSs
> in order to speed up the creation of public SPARQL endpoints.

Damian has just released:

http://jena.sourceforge.net/SquirrelRDF/

which enables non-RDF data to be queried in SPARQL.  Backends for SQL
and LDAP.  LDAP is a great source of info for us industry types.
Richards incorporated the SQL metadata extractor into D2RServer, if I
understand correctly.

I wonder if the D2RQ mapping can be separated from the SQL-access so
that adapters can be added for other sources.  Or whether it is better
to take a rules-based approach and map "low level" RDF (a direct
translation of the base source) into "high level" RDF (better data
modeling).  Is the mapping always the same for all applications?

> So if anybody knows about related work or wants to contribute ideas to
> any of the topics, everything is welcome.
>
> Christian Lehmann (University Leipzig) is working on a D2RQ
> imlementation in PHP. It would be great to be able to use D2RQ in PHP
> applications and we hope to integrate his code into our RAP - RDF API
> for PHP.
>
> Who of you is attending ESWC? What about a BOF meeting on Tuesday?

I'm not although Bastian Quilitz (who has produced a query federator -
SPARQL-queries-in, use service descriptions to work out which other
services to semnd requests to, rebuld the results).  Bastian's at ESWC.

	Andy