Re: worries about useMentionOp and how queries relate to rules and proofs

On Sat, 2005-02-05 at 12:42 -0600, Pat Hayes wrote:
> >  >> Pat, I didn't mean to ban poison like :isBnode or :isBound
> >>
> >>  Well, I can't point to any use examples, but it seems reasonable that
> >>  someone might want to apply a syntactic filter to their query answers
> >>  (like, I only want to see answers which have all URIrefs in them,
> >>  say)  No?
> >
> >Well ok, but I'm not really motivated by that example :)
>
> It felt a bit pathetic as I was writing it, I have to say.
>
> >Anyhow, we do many such jobs to prepare and extract triples
> >from almost everything (even books written in PDF recently)
> >and also to consume them, to put them in SVG on pocket PC
> >etc, but for such jobs we simply use XSLT (and of course
> >Python, Java, ...)
>
> Hmm, point taken. Well, then maybe what SPARQL should do is to
> explicitly allow XSLT constructions as part of query, to describe
> syntactic filters (? Does that make sense? Im a little out of my
> depth here.)

We're taking an easier way out: we're standardizing an XML format
for query results, which fits neatly into downstream XSLT.
  http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-rdf-sparql-XMLres-20041221/

As to motivating example, the one that convinced the WG was
a substitute for unsaid...

[[[
SteveH claimed that the simplest form of unsaid can be done with
optionals; evaluation/elaboration of this claim revealed that a BOUND
function/operator/keyword was also involved, ala isBound in section
11.2.2 SPARQL specific operations as of v1.171:

select ?x where (?x rdf:type :Person)
  [(?x ex:phone ?phone)] AND !bound(?phone)
]]]
  -- http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/ftf4.html#item04

On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 10:59 -0600, Pat Hayes wrote:
> Sigh, I havnt been keeping up with BOUND and these discussions, my
> bad.

No, not your fault... the BOUND idea was new to me at the Helsinki
ftf.

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E