Re: on reviewing papers

Le 2005-08-29 à 23:35, Dan Connolly a écrit :
> What do you do when there's a citation to a paper you haven't read?
> Should the citing paper gloss the cited paper so that it's not
> critical to follow the link? I suppose each community has its own
> assumed shared context. I think I just don't spend enough time in
> any of the academic communities to know.

Citations are here to preserve the context of your research and an
acknowledgements of any affirmations which are not new.

Usually it's used to

- give credibility to your ideas
- give the opportunity to argue your ideas with a defined context
- give the opportunity to explore the topics for your readers
- acknowledge the work of previous parties

There's no border. Specifically in science. If you follow an citation
to an article you haven't read, you will find references in this
unread article to other articles that you have indeed unread.

You have to estimate what is the scope of your reading. There's
nothing perfect or absolute.

My question in return is not about the what, but the why.

Why did you ask this question?

W3C Conformance Manager
*** Be Strict To Be Cool ***