RE: FOAF / Language experts...

Forwarded message 1

  • From: steve.appleby@bt.com <steve.appleby@bt.com>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 11:17:51 +0100
  • Subject: RE: FOAF / Language experts...
  • To: <nick.kings@bt.com>, <danbri@w3.org>
  • Cc: <gavin.churcher@bt.com>, <james.3.allen@bt.com>
Dan, Nick,
    Do you mean to identify translation equivalents?  I'm not sure I
understand the question, but here are some things that may be
relevant...

    WizTom - which will essentially do a search and replace on text.
It's a rough and ready mechanism for Web site and Windows apps
localization.

    EuroWordnet - semi-independent thesauri in different languages
linked by semantic equivalence.

    On-line MT - you will no doubt know of many on-line automatic
translation systems.

    Translation Memories - a way of re-using human translations.

    Statistical MT systems - these will use some kind of collocation
identifier to build phrasebooks of translations from data.  The Egypt
system is open source.

    It is certainly possible to have an in-line dictionary to add
translations to web pages.

I suspect this isn't really what you are after, so let me know.

Regards,
Steve