Re: [w3photo] community "ranking" of images

Some rambling thoughts regarding moderation:

It would add another level of complexity to the ranking algorithm, but
it might also be cool if some users have a stronger vote. "All animals
are equal, but some are more equal than others."

For example, someone who contributes 10 images, each receiving a high
rank, may be trusted more than someone who just stumbles into the site.
  It could be a sliding scale, or possibly a threshold.

Another idea is to the capacity to flag an image or comment as spammy,
or otherwise in poor taste. Trusted members of the community could have
the option of instantly accessing all images and comments by that
contributor. (Hmmm... another idea is to hide the image or comment from
everyone *except* the contributor... maybe he/she wouldn't realize that
the contribution had been censored.)

It may be a good idea not to publish the algorithm.

I've dropped out of the dialog (and visiting the link reveals that
perhaps the author has as well), but I used to read a site that
discusses matters like this (namely, community moderation):
http://www.everythinginmoderation.org/

This may be an opportunity to make use of golbeck's trust ontology
(http://trust.mindswap.org/trustOnt.shtml). A user could rank a photo
individually, but this could also get tedious. What about if users could
rank contributors, and thus rank all the contributor's photos at once?
Basically, the user would be saying (via the Trust ontology): "I
trust(8) user X to publish good photos," or "I trust(9) user X to
publish interesting/on-topic comments."

All this sounds interesting, but I wonder how much can actually be
implemented before the conference next week?

--bryce