Re: Named graphs etc

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 18:00:20 +0000
To: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
Cc: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>, ext Chris Bizer <chris@bizer.de>, www-archive@w3.org

Pat Hayes wrote:

> We could of course offer the pragmatic advice that if ex:thing is a
> graph or a web resource, then the agent is understood to be the owner of
> that resource. But this is a work-around, seems to me, rather than a
> principled way to handle this issue.  (Can't you just hear the debates
> this will produce? People are still arguing about using homepage URIs to
> identify people.)
>
> I would like us to punt on that aspect of the whole matter, and just
> assume that there is some externally-provided way to determine if the
> agent doing the publishing is the one referred to in the graph, which is
> all that really matters. Having ex:thing be the URI of the graph or
> document is one way, but there might be others.

I've just tried to show how we could sketch how, ex:thing could refer to a
person or company, and then we can link the verification of sigs into
current technology (I doubt you've got there yet Pat).

However, I feel happier with a punt overall, perhaps with a short sketch
that shows how current Public Key Infrastructure can be used ...

Jeremy