Re: [w3photo] Image regions (fwd)

Archiving a message from Masahide that didn't make it to the archive.

Libby

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 20:33:16 +0900
From: KANZAKI Masahide <webmaster@kanzaki.com>
To: semantic-photolist@unitboy.com
Cc: Morten Frederiksen <mof-rdf@mfd-consult.dk>
Subject: Re: [w3photo] Image regions

Hi Morten and all, thanks for summary of meeting and proposal.

I feel fine with basic idea in the current proposal. Some comments:

>- We decided that, for now, it'd be best to keep a depicts property
>  with a domain of Image separate from regionDepicts, to avoid confusing
>  existing tools that expect a URI for the subject.

I'm happy with this decision and eagerly waiting for namespage :)

>- One property, coords, for circle, polygon and rectangle, with a domain of
>  Region and a range of Literal. To keep compatibility with HTML image
>  maps [9] and SVG, it seems the syntax from the former (which is also
>  acceptable by the latter) should be adapted, with circles being defined
>  by "point,radius", rectangles by "point,point" and polygons by
>  "point,point,...". Separation of coordinates in a point is also done by
>  ",", only integer coordinates are allowed, and the ending point in a
>  polygon is omitted (auto-close).

I don't care the name of the property, but I'd strongly suggest the syntax
for coords should use spaces to separate each points, i.e. "x1,y1  x2,y2
x3,y3 ...". Because, while transformation from this form to
"x1,y1,x2,y2,x3,y3,..." can be done quite easily, the opposite direction is
not so easy, especially with XSLT.

>- A boundingBox property MAY be added by generating client, but could
>  be computed easily for the basic shapes. When using more complex shapes
>  and SVG's path syntax, the boundingBox property SHOULD be added.

Yes, indeed, I think this MAY, not SHOULD. It is easy to have bounding
rectangle from polygon with, say, javascript, and can be done even with
XSLT. I've added this capability to my stylesheet, and made one example to
show a box from polygon [1] (though this RDF still uses hasPart, points
etc...).

I may not be able to join meeting today (or can join at the beginning), but
hope these comment be useful.

cheers

Masahide Kanzaki, a.k.a. masaka

[1] http://kanzaki.com/works/2004/imgdsc/040114_1443.rdf