Re: [webwatch] Anyone Know of A Similar and More Accessible Example Than http://www.google.com/press/zeitgeist.html

At 05:49 PM 2003-07-10, Kelly Ford wrote:
>I'm curious if anyone has an example of the sort of graph that Google is
>using but that might be more accessible.  I'd like to point it out to the
>folks at Google as perhaps a model.

The best quote shining unquote example that I recall is what Corda did for
the National Cancer Institute.

NCI statistical graphics on the web
  http://cancer.gov/atlasplus/

However, all the other information shared as part of the Federal Statistics
caucus workshop on accessible tables (and charts) is of interest to anyone
working in this area.

FedStats workshop
  http://workshops.fedstats.gov/FS508Workshop.htm

>they indicated that they didn't make specific numbers available

While it would be nice to believe that "information wants to be free" and that
it will all be free, this is an area where I expect there will need to be
some class-action negotiation among interest groups and some new business
rules invented and proliferated.

In particular, in future, data aggregators like Google will make the numbers
available for a fee to businesses via Web Service interfaces.  The
architecture that I have been pushing for involves direct communication
between the consumer's user agent, say a PacMate device, and the
machine-oriented web service version of publishing this information.  The
key is to get reasonable access terms for people with bonafide need to do
their own rendering of the data, with other means of ensuring that they
aren't just scraping it from Google and re-selling it in competition with
Google.

There may be a Bookshare-like qualification test involved; that access to
certain business practices (technically, service-delivery chains) is offered
as an accomodation and only to those who actually need the accomodation.

The word on the street is to watch developments in digital-identity handling
with the new buzzword of 'federation.'  That is to say the Google search
phrase to use to find information on this trend is "identity federation".
This is the great white hope of the moment in terms of delivering security
and privacy in unprecedented combinations.  So individuals with bona-fide
needs can get matching accomodations without trumpeting sensitive information
to the world.

It takes a lot of thought to relate the following references to this topic,
but I'm going to repeat them anyway, as this is an important topic.

  UD/DA considerations for The Grid
  http://trace.wisc.edu/docs/ud4grid/

  some WAI comments on Device Independence
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2001Nov/0069.html

  V2 -Information Technology Access Interfaces
  http://www.incits.org/tc_home/v2.htm

  the research of Sangmi Lee in the Community Grids Lab, University of Indiana
  http://www.google.com/search?q=sangmi+universal

  identity federation as a trend in online security
  http://www.google.com/search?q=identity+federation

Al