codes:chars is many:one? [was: Undeliverable...]

Apologies for the delay in responding; due
to an overwhelming load of unsolicited email,
I only just now got around to your message...

[+cc www-archive, per my contact info
and available use policy.
http://www.w3.org/People/Connolly/#contact]

On Tue, 2002-01-08 at 14:34, Alan G. Isaac wrote:
> The document
> http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/html-spec/charset-harmful.html
> contains a link to
> http://www.w3.org/hypertext/WWW/MarkUp/html-spec/lee

oops... that should be #lee. i.e. to the
references section:

 [Lee]
Private communication with Liam Quin, from SoftQuad.

> which is dead.  The link is to a crucial justification
> in the paper.

Liam now works for W3C, as a matter of fact.

Lee, can you substantiate the claim that

" there are some coded character sets that assign two different numbers
to the same character[Lee],"

please?