RE: Editorial comments for Part 1, section 1-3

Well, what the Namespaces Rec also says is:

3. Qualified Names
[Definition:] In XML documents conforming to this specification, some
names (constructs corresponding to the nonterminal Name) may be given as qualified names, defined as follows:

Qualified Name

[6]
QName
::=
(Prefix ':')? LocalPart
[7]
Prefix
::=
NCName
[8]
LocalPart
::=
NCName

The Prefix provides the namespace prefix part of the qualified name, and must be associated with a namespace URI
reference in a namespace declaration. [Definition:] The LocalPart provides the local part of the qualified name.
Note that the prefix functions only as a placeholder for a namespace name. Applications should use the
namespace name, not the prefix, in constructing names whose scope extends
beyond the containing document.

Although in Schemas we used the term Qualified Name to mean {uri,local}, I
later discovered that the Namespaces rec. comes much closer to using it
for {prefix, local}.  See above.  The recommendation further introduces
the term "Expanded {Element,Attribute} Name" [1], but uses it specifically
in the form of an element that carries the uri and local part.

So, bottom line is:  while I personally like the term qualified name, I'm
not sure it's consistent with the terminology in the Namespaces
Recommendation.  Hence my suggestion that we at least introduce our use of
it.
Noah
[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-xml-names-19990114/#ns-expnames

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142

"Henrik Frystyk Nielsen" <henrikn@microsoft.com>
12/16/2002 12:39 AM

        To:     <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
        cc:     "Anish Karmarkar" <Anish.Karmarkar@oracle.com>, "Nilo Mitra"
<EUSNILM@am1.ericsson.se>, "David Fallside" <fallside@us.ibm.com>, "Marc
Hadley" <marc.hadley@sun.com>, "Martin Gudgin" <mgudgin@microsoft.com>,
"Jean-Jacques Moreau" <moreau@crf.canon.fr>, <www-archive@w3.org>
        Subject:        RE: Editorial comments for Part 1, section 1-3

Hmm, I have always read the term "XML qualified name" in the context
stated in the description in the namespace spec:

"Note that the prefix functions only as a placeholder for a namespace
name. Applications should use the namespace name, not the prefix, in
constructing names whose scope extends beyond the containing document."

I vaquely remember that the WG agreed on using this term some time ago but
I can't find the reference anywhere. Can somebody remember the details?

The potential problem by using the old phrase is that it is not clear
whether or how the "combination" should be computed: because we don't say:
should they be concatinated, or something else?

In any case, we use the term "XML qualified name" fairly consistently so
if we have problems in section 2.4, then we may have it in other places as
well. In any case, I agree that it is an editorial edit.

Henrik