Re: XML and WordNet

(+cc: www-archive for reference; is wn-users archived anywhere?)

On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, =?iso-8859-1?Q? Tobias=20G=F6bel ?= wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am in need of an XML specification for the input and output of WordNet. A DTD or something that specifies how the output of WordNet can be coded as an XML document would be nice.
> (Or even better: a script that translates WordNet output into an XML document, e.g. to code hypernym trees).
> Does anyone have information or code on that?
> Thank you very much in advance,
> Tobias Goebel

I have a work-in-progress version of Wordnet as an RDF Schema /
Ontology. The specific XML representation is determined by RDF's XML
syntax rules, so I didn't (thankfully) have to give any thought to the
details of the elements/attributes in the markup.

The goal was to be able to write XML/RDF documents that use tags from an
"XML namespace" consisting of the classes implicit in WordNet's hypernym
hierarchy. My Perl code is too buggy to give out; if there was a nice Perl
API for WordNet I could use I'd happily recode this and circulate.

Rough details are online at http://xmlns.com/2001/08/wordnet/

...do note the 'Issues' though; there is a serious problem with the
current encoding: it confuses specific terms with the synsets they fall
in. This came about due to the way my code works, I parse the output of
the wordnet command line tools; hence my desire for a cleaner API to build
things with.

suggestions / feedback welcomed,

--danbri

--