Re: Amaya strangeness too Re: ZAnnot server and Windows

Sorry I haven't had a chance to respond to your emails.  Busy week at
work :(  If your windows machine is online, would you be willing to give
me an account so I could take a look at what might be going on?

Thanks!
--Brent

Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
> I put my windows machine online, and annotated a header on the W3C homepage.
> As always, the ZAnnot server handled it fine, and this time Amaya could find
> the annotation as well. So I am wondering what Amaya sends as the URI ift is
> looking for annotations for when they are of the form file://
>
> I next annotated http://www.example.org using the ruby annopost and tried to
> load the annotation in Amaya. It told me there was an orphan annotation, and
> then couldn't load it because it couldn't find annotest.w3.org (which must be
> hard-coded in there somewhere, because I haven't put it in any config stuff.
>
> Finally, I cannot delete my username - in the configuration box for Annotea
> User I keep deleting it and Amaya keeps putting it back.
>
> (and I still cannot get anything from the Zope server running on Windows
> using the ruby annoget tool, although it works fine on OS X.)
>
> cheers
>
> Chaals
>
> On Sat, 18 Jan 2003, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>

>>Hi folks,
>>
>>I have installed the ZAnnot server o OS X (fairly easy to do) and on Windows
>>(ridiculously easy). I will shortly have written up instructions for
>>installation and configuration to make them run. But if anyone else has
>>installed the ZAnnot server on Windows they might be able to help me out...
>>
>>I had no problem posting Annotations to it, but for some reason it will not
>>return them to me. I tested using the ruby command-line annodemo tools at
>>http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/200209/annodemo and using Amaya 7.1 and it
>>doesn't get anything. The same tools work fine to post to the server, and the
>>annotations are shown in the server management interface, and on Moc OS X the
>>same tools all work fine. I have only tested on Windows using localhost and
>>annotating local files (I don't have a Windows machine that I can set up as
>>an online server at the moment).
>>
>>Any help available?
>>
>>The very rough draft of instructions that I am working on is at
>>http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/reports/annotation_demo_server_report/zannot-inst
>>if anyone wants a preview of an unstable and incomplete draft...
>>
>>cheers
>>
>>Chaals

"The programmer, like the poet, works only slightly removed from pure
  thought-stuff.  He builds his castles in the air, from air, creating
  by exertion of the imagination.  Few media of creation are so
  flexible, so easy to polish and rework, so readily capable of
  realizing grand conceptual structures."
                         -- Frederick Brooks, Jr., The Mythical Man Month