RE: A simple Annotation System

Hello,
I did a similar program during my PhD (Yawas, available from http://www.univ-savoie.fr/labos/syscom/Laurent.Denoue/)
but the implementation you have looks much better.
However, as far as I can tell from the screenshot, I think you could improve something:
- instead of a single icon at the beginning of the selected passage, I think it would be nice to anchor the original selection, say with a highlighted color like in Yawas or with two icons like CritLink.
- let users search for keywords IN THE SELECTIONS
- present the results of the search engine with a document summary. One of my results with Yawas is that the simple
concatenation of the selected passages in a document are good to summarize it (when the highlights have been created by the person searching at least)
- when browsing annotations, again it would be nice to use the selected passages to represent the document. Now, you simply display the document URL. A simple solution would be to display the selected passages when you mouse over the document URL in the list.

I also have a few questions:
- how did you manage to annotate PDF documents? Do you simply annotate the whole document or can you select some text as well?
- can you annotate part of a picture or only the whole picture? How do the annotations appear in the original document?

Very nice work!
Laurent.