Re: Annotea Protocols - Updating annotation query

On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 09:59:09PM +0000, Matthew Wilson wrote:
> On the Annotea protocols page, the protocol for updating an existing
> annotation is described.
>
> http://www.w3.org/2001/Annotea/User/Protocol.html#Updating
>
> Does an update replace the old annotation, or does it overwrite the old
> data? For example, if I wish to update the body of an annotation, but keep
> the author etc. the same, can I send a message containing just d:date and
> a:body, or do I have to send all the old metadata too?

Replace, and here's why:

There is no constraint that there be one body per annotation so adding
a body would not remove the previous one. Furthur, if there were such
a constraint, it would be up to the application to define whether
asserting a conflicting object for a unique property would
  replace the original
  be ignored
  produce an inconsistent system from which no data could be extracted

We haven't defined this for the interface to Annotea so we treat
updates as messages which replace entirely the results of a previous
message.

--
-eric

(eric@w3.org)