Re: changing annotation types under Amaya

> Dear Colleagues,

     Thank you for your advice.  I followed it, I thought correctly, but when I
relaunched Amaya, the annotation type list was unchanged.  This is how my copy of
annot.schemas (in Amaya/config) now reads:

# annot.schemas
#
# specifies the RDF schemas to be pre-loaded for Annotations
#
# each line beginning with '#' is a comment
# all other non-empty lines must be in one of two formats:
# 1. namespacename
# 2. namespacename filename
#
# In case 1, an RDF schema is expected to be found at the namespace URI
# In case 2, the filename is expected to be a (local) copy of an RDF
#            schema for the namespace.  The strings $THOTDIR and
#            $APP_HOME may be used at the beginning of the filename
#            and will be expanded to the Amaya installation directory
#            and the user's amaya home directory respectively.

# Historical schema presented at WWW9. Obsolete.
#http://www.w3.org/1999/xx/annotation-ns#

#first release schema; do not change unless you also change the service
http://www.w3.org/2000/10/annotation-ns#  $THOTDIR/config/annotschema.rdf

#some Annotation subclasses that we think will be useful
http://www.w3.org/2000/10/annotationType# $THOTDIR/config/annottypes.rdf

#a new namespace called "MyTypes"
http://www.w3.org/2001/05/MyTypes# $THOTDIR/config/mytypes.rdf

This is how mytypes.rdf now reads (in the same directory):

<rdf:RDF
   xmlns:rdfs="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#">

<rdf:Description about="http://www.w3.org/2000/10/MyTypes#">
 <rdfs:comment>A namespace for describing types of annotations</rdfs:comment>
 <rdfs:comment>$Revision: 1.2 $ $Date: 2000/11/03 21:40:17 $</rdfs:comment>
 <rdfs:seeAlso
resource="http://www.w3.org/2000/02/Collaboration/Annotation/papers"/>
</rdf:Description>

<rdfs:Class rdf:about="http://www.w3.org/2001/05/MyTypes#Gloss">
  <rdfs:label xml:lang="en">Gloss</rdfs:label>
  <rdfs:comment>A class of Annotations representing glosses on vocabulary and
usage</rdfs:comment>
  <rdfs:subClassOf
rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2000/10/annotation-ns#Annotation"/>
  <rdfs:isDefinedBy resource="http://www.w3.org/2001/05/MyTypes#"/>
</rdfs:Class>

</rdf:RDF>

Note: I initially wrote the antepenultimate line (and the fourth line before
that) as in your example, namely:

  <rdfs:isDefinedBy resource="http://www.w3.org/2000/10/MyTypes#"/>
  and
  <rdfs:Class rdf:about="http://www.w3.org/2000/10/MyTypes#Gloss">

respectively.

When this didn't work, I tried the modifications indicated, not knowing exactly
what I was doing!

I expect that I have missed something obvious, and would be grateful for your
advice.

Tim Moore
The University of Hong Kong