Re: Table of contents starting from h2

CPK Smithies a écrit ce qui suit, le 23/10/08 16:58 :
> Indeed, I believe that WAI guidelines suggest that there should be exactly one H1 element per page.

I find this (http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-HTML-TECHS/#document-headers):
(Begin quote)

> Long documents are often divided into a variety of chapters, chapters
> have subtopics and subtopics are divided into various sections,
> sections into paragraphs, etc. These semantic chunks of information
> make up the structure of the document.
>
> Sections should be introduced with the HTML heading elements (H1
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-HTML-TECHS/#edef-H1>-H6).
(End quote)

This does not say that there should be only one h1 and nothing is said
about a main title. On the contrary, h1-h6 seem to be used for any kind
of SUBdivision (my emphasis on SUB).
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#edef-H1 says mostly the
same.

Of course html has a long history of compromises. xhtml 2 should be more
logical.

--

Amitiés, Dominique,
dominique@meeus-d.be, +32 (473) 61 31 75, http://www.meeus-d.be/