Re: UTF-8 as document default ?!

On Friday 23 November 2007 10:23, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
> Irene Vatton 22.11.2007 17:43: ­
>
> > On Thursday 22 November 2007 16:45, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
> > > Irene Vatton 22.11.2007 16:04:   ­

> > > I did not ask for help to use Amaya.  I reported a bug - and proposed a
> > > possible workaround. If you want to know more about the bug, please ask
> > > about the things that was unclear in my message. Or try to find a PPC
> > > Mac OS X machineso you can test for yourself.
> >
> > I'm not able to reproduce the bug with the last snapshot.
> > What is your Amaya version?
>
> We are two persons using the 9.99-3 PPC version for Mac OS X. My partner
> creates her texts in it, and all I know is that I frequently receive
> us-ascii encoded text made in Amaya, despite that the preferences are
> set to utf-8. And I also know that this is nothing new - but perhaps it
> was more frequent in the previous releases.
>
> However, Amaya crashes a bit too frequently ... It might be that that in
> itself "defualts" it - or something. (A simply Copy command, when inside
> the cell of a Table, is all that is needed in order to get Amaya to
> crash.) And that is why I proposed making Amaya so that when it
> defaults, then it defaults to utf-8. Since it never defaults to
> ISO-8859-1, despite the fact that this is the «official» encoding
> default, but instead defaults to us-ascii, then my thought was that it
> defaults to US-ASCII because this is the first encoding in the files I
> mentioned. And thus I also proposed to turn that order. I understand
> that the encodings now is in logical order - US ASCII — ISO-8859-1 —
> UTF-8. But it should be just as logical to have UTF-8 on the top/first
> and US ASCII at the bottom/last.

We force now ISO-8859-1 as the initial default charset. People who wants UTF-8
has just to change it either in Preferences or at the document creation.

UTF-8 should be largely adopted, but many web servers uses the suffix to fix
the charset and serves ".html" documents with ISO-8859-1 charset. As the
charset given by the server has a higher priority than the document charset,
it's important to generate documents with a compatible charset.

> However, I will try to see if I can find a pattern in when this happens.

Okay