Re: Text in Hebrew is not written right to left.

On 29/09/2006, at 11:48 PM, nadav vinik wrote:

> Hello
>
> There is problem in Amaya in writing hebrew.
>
> The letter came as type from left to right instead of right to left.
>
> Nadav

I have Amaya 9.51, MacOS 10.4.6
I have no knowledge of Hebrew, but, with settings

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//IW"
charset=iso-8859-8" />

if I select Hebrew input in the Mac keyboard menu:

If I type input in the source panel, Hebrew characters
are entered, left to right. Clicking in the output panel
Amaya presents the Hebrew right to left.

When entering characters in the output panel, they type in
left to right. If I then click in the source panel,
all input is shown as accented ISO-8859-1 characters.
Clicking back in the output panel the Hebrew characters
revert right to left as they should be.

When I leave the encoding as 8859-1, Transitional//EN,
typing into the output panel Hebrew enters right to left,
in the source panel left to right, and clicking back &
forth the source text turns to Unicode entities.

anamolous IMO, but is it a feature or a bug ? ;-)

Peter Kerr
University of Auckland