Re: bug: target attribute not shown

On 20/10/2005, at 3:02, Irene Vatton wrote:

> On Tuesday 18 October 2005 20:51, Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:
>
>> Or shall modifications of single frames
>> be disallowed?  Or does the W3C want to drop frames altogether?
>>

> W3C doesn't recommend the usage of frames.

Does W3C discourage the use of frames?
Including iframes?

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/     and specifically

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/present/frames.html

make no prohibition, or deprecation of the use of frames,
or iframes. There are numerous references to
"user agents which may not be able to render ..."

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/   specifically

4. Differences with HTML 4   and
C. HTML Compatibility Guidelines

I could not find that XHTML 1.0 was different from HTML 4
in its treatment of frames.

But I observe that the most widely used browser on the web can
have difficulty rendering some W3C compliant frames and iframes,
more so when the content is not to its liking.

Peter Kerr                       Mail.app 2.0.3 (734)
Snr Technician
School of Music,  University of Auckland,  New Zealand