Re: Font and styles not rendering properly in Amaya

Le Mardi 10 Mai 2005 13:47, Shriramana Sharma a écrit :
> I'm using Amaya 9.1 on Windows XP Home SP1 on a Celeron 800 laptop.
>
> I tried using Amaya to read my website (http://samvit.org), both offline
>   (my local copy) and online. I was surprised to see that the styles
> suggested by my CSS were not rendered properly by Amaya. That means -
> some layout like the color scheme etc were implemented, but the size of
> the h- elements, and more importantly for me, the serif fonts which I
> recommended using:
>
> body { font-family: Gentium, "Palatino Linotype", Verdana, Tahoma, serif; }
>
> namely Gentium and Palatino - do not get used at all, though my system
> certainly has them (those fonts). I wonder why. It's only in the
> *absence* of a previous font that a later font suggested in a stylesheet
> gets used, no? Or is Amaya trying to behaving like an *average* system,
> where the two serif fonts I suggested do not necessarily exist?
>
> Does Amaya then have an internal list of "web-safe fonts"?

Today Amaya works with only three generic font families: serif, sans-serif,
mono-space. Available fonts connected to these three families are defined in
the configuration file "Amaya\config\fonts.gl.win".
As long as there is no facility to select a new set of fonts, you're just able
to generate a different configuration file by hand.
For that you may copy the default configuration file Amaya\config\fonts.gl.win
into your working space Documents and Settings\$user\amaya\fonts.gl.win
and make your change.

> Even this does not answer the question of why the styles are not
> implemented as recommended by me.
>
> Also: I found that Amaya doesn't give any space between <p> elements,
> while Mozilla does, automatically. Since I used Mozilla in the
> previewing of my web pages before I uploaded them, I thought all the
> paragraphs are nicely spaced. But Amaya doesn't show them spaced at all.
> What to do? If I explicitly suggest a margin-top margin-bottom value
> pair for the <p> element using CSS, can I trust to it that all browsers
> that support CSS will space the <p> elements uniformly?

Yes, if you want to force a margin-top margin-bottom value pair for the <p>
element you have to express it with CSS.