Re: Why does Amaya replace " with a quotation mark?

Using " instead of a single " character just makes the source code
bigger and less readable. It's certainly not best practice, not even good
practice. There is only one case where the character entity " is
required : within an attribute value whose delimiters are the " character.
But don't worry, in that case Amaya generates the character entity,
even if you type the " character when entring the attribute value.

Vincent.

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 23:17:37 +0100 "cliff willett" <cliffwillett@operamail.com> wrote:

> Why is it that when I save a document, any text which has been marked up thus:
>
> &quot;this is a quotation&quot;
>
> ....has been replaced with:
>
> "this is a quotation"
>
> I thought that it was considered best practise to use the escape character (&quot;) rather than quotation marks (") when authoring XHTML documents. Having gone through my site with a fine toothcomb dutifully putting them in, why on Earth is Amaya taking them all out again?
>
> --
> Web-based SMS services available at http://www.operamail.com.
> >From your mailbox to local or overseas cell phones.
>
> Powered by Outblaze

Vincent Quint                       INRIA Rhône-Alpes
e-mail: Vincent.Quint@inria.fr      655 avenue de l'Europe
Fax:  +33 4 76 61 52 07             38334 Saint Ismier Cedex
                                    France