Re: Proxy username/password

Keith Hopper wrote:

> Greetings,
>      I am sure that I am not the only Amaya user who works behind a secure
> proxy server. I seem to remember that in a much earlier version Amaya would
> give me a proxy login prompt and then serve files.
>
>      I haven't actually tried this for a long time, but today using 8.3
> under linux there is merely the flicker of a 'Cannot load' message even
> though I have configured the proxy as required.
>
>      Has anyone any idea what may be going wrong?
>
>                          Keith
>
> PS   As a matter of interest could Amaya not automatically pick up the
> proxy settings from something like /etc/wgetrc ??

Following the definition of url-s or uri-s, you should be able to put the
account info in there:

http://username@proxyserver:port/ (this hould ask for a password if needed)
http://usernname:password@proxyserver:port/ (sends password raw...)

I expect amaya to accept urls in this form and pass them on as needed.

Basic security tells me that the password is send raw over the network hence a
potential seciruty risc. However, since it is only from the machine to the proxy
server and not over a public network (that is only at the other side of the
proxy server). And in most (larger) local networks are switched and somehow
controlled, I considder it as a not so potential risc.

CBee