Re: amaya build, NetBSD 1.6.1 - tweaks

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 05:06:10 -0400 (EDT)
Scott Walters <scott@illogics.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This report is for amaya-8.1b.
>
> 1.
> config.status spits out confstat09929a/subs-3.sed, part of which reads:
>
> /@dav_frag@/r
>
> ....which closely resembles other lines, like:
>
> /@math_frag@/r ../amaya/Makefile.math
>
> ....except lacking a file name, which sed doesn't like. I'm sure ./configure
> was supposed to compute a filename somewhere and just failed to on this
> platform, but I didn't investigate the details.

There is a file davlib/Makefile.dav that should be included by @dav_frag@
You probably have a problem with your configuration.
I agree the comment says "amayaMakefile.dav" instead of "davlib/Makefile.dav"
I will fix the comment.

> 2.
> in thotlib/base/fileaccess.c, around line 271, it tried to include
> definitions for struct ieee for both little and big endian. That didn't
> go over very well =)

Normally Amaya reads and writes byte by byte to avoid this kind of
trouble.

> 3.
> amaya/Makefile, had to add  -lwwwnews -lwwwtelnet -lwwwgopher to LIBS:
> LIBS    =  $(AMAYA_PLUGIN_LIBS) $(AMAYA_ANNOT_LIBS) $(AMAYA_DAV_LIBS) \
>             \
>            $(AMAYA_MATH_LIBS) $(AMAYA_GRAPH_LIBS) \
>            -L../tablelib -L../thotlib -L.. -lThotTable -lThotEditor -L/usr/pkg/lib \
>           $(AMAYA_OPTION_EXTRA_LIBS) $(IMGLIBS) $(EXPAT_LIBRARIES) \
>           $(AMAYA_LIBWWW_LIBS) \
>           $(MOTIF_LIBRARIES) $(GTK_LIBRARIES) \
>           $(XMLIB) $(X_LIBS) -lXt $(X_PRE_LIBS)  -lwwwnews -lwwwtelnet -lwwwgopher \
>           -lXext -lX11 $(X_EXTRA_LIBS)   -lm $(GL_LIBRARIES)
>
> ....or else final linking for the amaya executable comes back with:
>
> /usr/local/lib/libwwwapp.so: undefined reference to `HTLoadNews'
> /usr/local/lib/libwwwapp.so: undefined reference to `HTLoadTelnet'
> /usr/local/lib/libwwwapp.so: undefined reference to `HTLoadGopher'
> /usr/local/lib/libwwwapp.so: undefined reference to `HTNewsGroup'
> /usr/local/lib/libwwwapp.so: undefined reference to `HTNewsList'
> gmake[1]: *** [../bin/amaya] Error 1
> gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/home/tgz/Amaya/obj/amaya'
> gmake: *** [amaya_prog] Error 2

No, Amaya doesn't use these libwww features.
If you checkout the libwww from the CVS base, you have to -rAmaya revision.
See the documentation "http://www.w3.org/Amaya/User/cvs.html"

> 4.
> The included libraries are fickle. They don't like to copy their .a files out
> again after a make clean (of which I had to do several), they had trouble finding
> their headers, and other things. IMHO, a program really ought to default to using
> already installed libraries, if they can be found.

There are incompatible versions of libraries like libpng, expat, and libwww.
To fix that problem, tools have no other solution than to distribute their own version
of libraries.

> Amaya 7.2 built and installed curtesy for NetBSD's pkgsrc system, and runs fine. It
> is *extremely* nifty - very nice hack. When I saw that table rendering had been
> improved, I was eager to try the new version.
>
> I'm sure a lot of this is user error, but I thought the feedback might be helpful
> anyway.

Yes of course.