Re: parsing issues with amaya 8.1b

On Thu,  4 Sep 2003 08:14:49 -0400 (EDT)
"John Russell" <ve3ll@rac.ca> wrote:

> One of my common uses of amaya is to verify students
> documents quickly. amaya catches a few problems that
> the w3 and wdg parsers miss. I really like that.   However
> I am now seeing a couple of badly formed documents
> (according to w3.org and wdg)  that amaya does not raise
> alarms on ....  one is invalid characters and another is on
>  invalid nesting. the two test files are included.
> Are these things Amaya  should flag?
> Are they now on the 2.do list? --
> john russell ve3ll@rac.ca [those are L's as in LLAMA]
> http://home.cogeco.ca/~ve3ll
> http://home.cogeco.ca/~trains
> http://home.cogeco.ca/~cipher

We did that at the beginning, but we abandonned the idea to do a too
strict control on loaded documents.
We let that role to validators.
Today, Amaya does a minimum of control on loaded documents:
  + it checks that they are well-formed (if it's a XHTML document)
  + it fixes a set of important errors (misplaced end tags, <td> outside a <table>
  + it detects the use of invalid or unknown tags.
But new created documents with Amaya are valid, and it only allows the user to
add new elements at a valid position.

I agree with you, we probably have to flag invalid characters.