Re: Amaya bug: charset information stripped out

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 13:26:01 +0100
"Richard Ishida" <ishida@w3.org> wrote:

> Then I'm unfortunately going to have a problem again if I edit and save
> my docs with Amaya.  I put together an example.
>
> See the enclosed xhtml file (without xml declaration).  The graphic
> withoutXMLDecl.gif shows how this will look in IE6 and, for example,
> Amaya, Netscape 7.1, Mozilla 1.3 and Opera 7.
>
> If I edited this slightly with Amaya and it added an XML declaration, it
> would continue to look the same for all browsers, except IE 6 -  the
> graphic withXMLDecl.gif shows how it now looks in IE.
>
> I am now authoring new pages in Standards Mode. With the XML
> declaration, IE is now in Quirks mode because the DOCTYPE wasn't the
> first thing in the file.  If this were some small new browser I wouldn't
> care, but since IE has such a huge market share, this is going to affect
> (and break) the look of my page for the majority of my readers.
>
> That's why I don't want Amaya to add the declaration without my
> permission.
>
> RI

If I understand, your suggestion is to remove the xml declaration and to add a doctype
+ meta element. This is an HTML document, isn't it?

As I explained before,  Amaya is able to generate and edit HTML documents.
In your case I suggest you generate HTML documents instead of
XHTML documents (we can also add the HTML option in the New menu).

The xml declaration is there not only to define the charset. It also allows browsers able to read
xml documents to use an xml parser instead of an html parser and so to check that the
document is well formed.
What HTML guys think about that?