Re: Is it possible to use one SVG to contain other SVGs, in a way that also enables the user to copy the contained SVGs and paste them into another document, for instance into ms Word?

On Wed, 14 May 2003 12:15:59 +0100
Jonathan Chetwynd <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com> wrote:

> Paul,
>
> I really appreciate your efforts to understand this issue, as you'll
> realise I am still confused, it would be really helpful if you had a
> link to a <use> example, I've put one that uses <image> here
> http://www.peepo.com/svg/image.svg, it does not seem to display except
> in amaya.....

Ithink latest adobe svg player display embeded SVG (but doesn't animate them)...
Here's a use example http://tuan.kuranes.free.fr/svg/New.svg

> 1	 does SVG prevent this, assuming not, does any implementation such as
> amaya allow this?

I think the use mechanism is what SVG provide for those needs.
I only know Amaya allowing <use> with a external document contaning the SVG.

> 2	is there another application/word processor that lets one paste them.
> Jim Ley believes this is possible with word*

The problem is that the clipboard isn't really aware of what sort of infomation it's carrying,
 so if Amaya fill the clipboard with SVG (which is basically text) other will understand it as text...
It only can if in your Word processeor there's a "paste as SVG"

I've hear of some work on SVG within openoffice and abiword... maybe it's possible to import SVG
(using a file import mechanism). you should check them.

> If you visit peepo.com. you'll immediately see we use lots of SVG
> created images as links, unfortunately they are currently saved as gifs
> or jpgs. Teaching staff need to be able to easily copy these and paste
> them in another document.

Using Amaya and SVG images, you sould be able to Copy/Paste selecting the SVG then using CTRL+C in the view browsing peepo.com
and then CTRL+V in the view you're currently editing. (It even work now, with the gifs.)
But you must use Amaya to edit documents instead of Word. But why not ?

> I Naturally this could take months or years to achieve, if it isn't
> possible already.

We cannot change the clipboard mechanism in order to make "he paste as SVG" possible in word processors... you should check and contact you word processors makers.

-PAul