RE: "embedded" XSL

There is a transformation engine in Amaya already, using the T language.
Normally tht runs a transformation over part of a page, but I thought it was
also what is used to gather multiple documents into a single compiled
document via the make book function. If the API that this uses to get to the
content could be exposed in the form of an XML source fragment then it
shouold be possible to do transformations not only of a whole document via
XSLT, but also to use XSLT to extend the transform function (I believe more
people are now writing in XSLT than in T).

A really rough hack to apply XSLT would be to open the source view, select
all, copy, paste into a temporary document, apply the XSLT through a command
line tool, paste the output over the source, and synchronise. This could be
done using extrnal scripting, but it is hideously unpleasant to contemplate.
A little work might make it invisible to the user.

Of course finding someone with the time to do the work is another question...

cheers

Charles

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Alexander Voropay wrote:

>Irene Vatton  wrote:
>
>> >  Does Amaya support "embedded" XSL ?
>>
>> No it doesn't because Amaya is mainly an authoring tool.
>> We don't know how to handle edit changes with XSL transformations
>> applied to the loaded document.
>
> XML Spy (Authoring Tool) can do this.
>http://www.xmlspy.com/support_faq_ide_xsl.html
>
>Q. I want to edit the XML file while seeing changes in the
>Browser View, how can I do this?
>
>A.  If you have an XSL stylesheet associated with your XML document,
>you can display the browser view in a separate window by viewing the XML
>file in the Browser View first and then choosing from the Browser menu the
>"separate window" option.
>This allows you to take a look at the document source in the Enhanced Grid
>or Text Views and browser preview side-by-side, so that it can easily be
>refreshed directly from the editing view (just hit F5 in the editing view
>and
>the browser view is automatically updated).
>

>P.S. You do not need to invent XSL Trnsformation Engine. I think, it is
>possible to introduce a "hook" to external XSLT engine from Amaya,
>http://www.garshol.priv.no/download/xmltools/cat_ix.html#SC_XSLT
>

>--
>-=AV=-

SWAD-E http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe ------------ WAI http://www.w3.org/WAI
 21 Mitchell street, FOOTSCRAY Vic 3011, Australia  fax(fr): +33 4 92 38 78 22