Re: Double-spaces at ends of sentences?

you have just discovered one of the great holes in css stylesheets.
there is no construct that yields this very common requirement.
one of the main reasons is that the structure of html/css doesn't
 recognize a sentence as a basic block.
         --- very strange indeed isn't it ;-[  ;-[  ;-[

On 11 Aug 2001, at 2:01, Marc M. Adkins wrote:

> I have just downloaded Amaya 5.1.  A comment/query...
>
> In English it is customary to place two spaces after a period at the end of a
> sentence.  However, current HTML browsers generally squeeze spaces into a single
> space, so a paragraph like this one would be displayed with only one space
> between sentences.
>
> Some current WYSIWYG HTML editors cover for this by changing the first space to
> a non-breaking space ( ).  This forces the browser to display two spaces.
>
> I noticed that Amaya will change the NBSP-SP sequence into two regular
> spaces.  That is to say, if I read in a document with the NBSP-SP sequence
> and then save it again the sequence is changed to SP-SP.  Hmmm...
>
> I admit, there may be some change to the HTML specification to cover for
> this somehow and I just don't know about it.  Or perhaps Amaya has this
> behavior for some other reason to which I am not privy.  So I'm not claiming
> this is a bug, I just would like to know the reasoning.
>
> Thanks,
> Marc M. Adkins

John Russell, VE3LL@RAC.CA
http://www.cgocable.net/~jrussel