RE: Amaya 4.2.1

> From:	Volker Kuhlmann [SMTP:kuhlmav@elec.canterbury.ac.nz]
>
> Is there any browser besides amaya which doesn't deal in frames?
	[DJW:]
	Firstly, Amaya is an editor for creating valid CSS
	formatted HTML, not primarily a browser.

	Secondly Lynx (and, I suspect, a couple of other text
	only browsers) don't support frames.  html2ps (a printer
	medium browser, used to create the PDF version of the HTML
	specification) doesn't.  WebTV converts frames into tables
	(I suspect in the gateway - i.e. the actual browser doesn't
	support them).

You are not in touch with reality :-) There are few sites not using
frames. I don't frequent e-business sites. Ok, let's settle on 50-50?
That makes amaya useless for half of the web. Not good.

[DJW:]  Half may well be true, but for it to fail on
frames sites, the sites have also got to violate basic
accessibility rules and not provide a sensible fallback
mechanism (please "upgrade" is not a sensisble fallback).
As well as the original mechanism, <noframes>, you can use
sensible frame names (not left and right) and use titles on
the frames.  The problem is that few frames sites do
things properly - however Amaya's job is to help people
do things properly, not really to let them cope with bad
design.

If you want a stable browser capable of handling most current
HTML abuses, you should use IE5.  If you want open source,
and can tolerate some instability, you should use the Mozilla
series. You may get slightly more commercial web support with
Netscape's build of these, but people report that it is better
to track the latest open source version.