RE: centered lists do not center bullets

> From:	John Russell [SMTP:ve3ll@rac.ca]
>
> The simple html 4.0 pattern
	[DJW:]
	I don't think the semantics of this are tightly defined - it
	tends to be a mix of text-align and auto margins.

> <ul>
> <li>First item in list</li>
> <li>Next in list</li>
> <li>Final item in list</li>
	[DJW:]
	The CSS2 specification explicitly does not define the
	exact position of the bullet when it is outside of the
	text area.

	The sample style sheet in the CSS2 spec specifies explicit
	margins on UL, which means that block box type centering must
	be achieved by explictly overriding them to auto if the browser
	follows the sample.

	text-align type centring doesn't move the actual boxes, only
	the text within them, and as the list marker is outside the text,
	it seems reasonable that it should not be affected by
	text-align, albeit noting that CSS2 is explicitly undefined
	here.

	I am pretty sure the only (reliable) CSS way of getting ragged lists
is
	to explicitly set auto margins and explicitly set the width of
	each list item.

	Incidentally, I hate lists with ragged bullets.

> </ul>
> centers the text correctly but leaves the bullet on the left edge.
> This occurs if ordered list as well.
> It appears to be more of a call sequencing problem than a
	[DJW:]
	The text is centred in the anonymous inline box, but the bullet
	is presumably being positioned relative to the explicit block
	level box for the LI element.