RE: no encoding specified when creating XHTML documents

> From:	Vincent QUINT [SMTP:Vincent.Quint@inrialpes.fr]
>
> If your documents are written in French, I suggest you set a
> lang attribute on the <html> or <body> element. Use the Attribute
> button to do that. Then, when you save a document, the encoding
	[DJW:]
	French uses the HTML and Microsoft US default
	character encodings (ISO 8859/1 and CP 1252
	respectively), so specifying the French language
	really ought not to change the character set, even
	if it is the typical misuse of CP 1252 for documents
	that are perfectly compatible with the HTML default
	character set.

	[DJW:]  For HTML compatibility, I would therefore
	say that Amaya should be defaulting ISO 8859/1,
	not UTF-8/16. It should not be overriding CP 1252
	even if lang is set to fr.  It should not assume
	UTF-8/16 when it doesn't know the language.

	If the document is actually served as HTML, 8859/1
	is the default, and not all browsers understand
	http-equiv, which is really a hack for dealing with
	servers that can't be properly configured, so, whilst
	Amaya is an [X]HTML tool, it should default to 8859/1.

	Also, in HTML, lang is supposed to be orthogonal, to
	encoding, so it can, at best, be used as hint to the
	encoding for newly created documents.