Re: Dictionaries

> Is it possible to add new words to the English dictionary? It seems as =
> though no proper nouns(names of months, city names, etc) are in the =
> current dictionary. I know about the EXTENDDICT variable, but I would =
> prefer to update the current dictionary rather than have every user add =
> these words to their personal dictionary. Or is it possible to use a =
> list of several files somehow with EXTENDDICT?
>
> John Dorsey
> johnsdorsey@yahoo.com

Hi John,

Normally Amaya is able to manage two dictionaries by language. For the English
we have the principal dictionary Eprinc, but we can also add a second
dictionary
Eperso which is not delivered today.

I've posted a tar file at http://www.w3.org/Amaya/Distribution/extenddic.tgz
which includes:
- the source of a program "traiter" and its Makefile
- our initial source of the Eperso dictionary dic/Eperso.DIC
After generating the program, you can go into the sub-directory dic
and generate a usable version of the dictionary Eperso.dic by the command
"../traiter Eperso"
After that you have to move this file Eperso.dic into the right place:
the directory Amaya/dicopar

As you could see the source dictionary is a list of words ordered by word
length
then by alphabetic order.
The first line gives the number of words and the number of characters.
NB: You can obtain them by the command "wc Eperso.DIC" on Unix platforms.

If you can provide a more complete Eperso dictionary, we will be happy to
distribute it to all Amaya users.