RE: Unicode/UTF-8 (was: Problems with Amaya 2.4)

> From:	Bertrand.Ibrahim@cui.unige.ch [SMTP:Bertrand.Ibrahim@cui.unige.ch]
>
> Try http://cuisung.unige.ch/prod/TestAlpha.html to test your platform. On

	IE5/NT4 substitutes Symbol for the mathematical symbols and
	therefore fails to display them all, unless you make
	Lucida Sans Unicode your standard font for the user defined
	language and overide the encoding from UTF-8 to user defined
	(other combinations may work).

	Thai works, I don't know why.  Arabic work, possibly because
	I have the arabic fonts.  Hebrew, Cyrillic and Greek seem to work.
	The remainder fail, even though I have Simplified and Traditional
	Chinese fonts that work if you select GB2312 or BIG5 encodings for
	Chinese - forcing simplified chinese gets out your Japanese syllabic
	stuff.

	Netscape 4.5/NT 4 fails to get the Thai, Hebrew and Arabic and
requires
	the character set to be manually set to UTF8.  If you manually
	select Lucida Sans Unicode as the Unicode font, you get the full set
of
	maths symbols, but the default Unicode font is Times New Roman,
	for which you only get a subset (the same as IE5, I think).
Selecting
	a simplified Chinese font as your Unicode font, or configuring the
	font for simplified chinese and selecting it as the character set,
	gets the Japaneses syllabics.

	On NT4, therefore, with a current IE and a recent NS, I'd say that
	Unicode support was still rather broken.

	Incidentally, http://home.att.net/~jameskass/
	(Unicode Support in Your Browser) seems a useful resource in this
	area, including pointers to various more or less complete Unicode
	fonts, mainly shareware.